Installing Nagios 4
This document contains the information and steps to proceed to install and configure the Nagios monitoring system on an Ubuntu Server 14.04 using the Nrpe 2.16RC2.
Nrpe 2.16RC2 is still not at its last (or defined stable) version but, tests shows that this release does not have particular issue.
This plugin is a great improvement since it provides an increase of security thanks to the use of server-client certificates and an improvement of the encryption system.
For an easy view on the configuration file, some samples of the same are inside this document.
In details, these are the main points of the document:
What I cover in this document
- INSTALLING NAGIOS 4 WITH SSL CERTIFICATE OF NRPE 2.16RC2
- PREPARE AN UBUNTU SERVER V. 14.04
- update the system and setup the network
- NAGIOS INSTALLATION
- Install Nagios Core
- Install Nagios Plugin
- Install NRPE 2.16RC2
- Secure NRPE
- ENABLING THE WEB SERVER
- Protect Apache with SSL
- CONFIGURING THE SYSTEM
- Configure Nagios
- Configure the hosts
- Configure the services
- Configure the client
- Configure the contacts
- Configuring the NRPE for the server
- INSTALL THE PLUGINS AND THE NRPE ON THE CLIENTS
- Installing the Nagios plugins
- Installing NRPE on the client
- Configuring NRPE on the client
- How the server sends commands to the client
- CREATING THE CERTIFICATE
- Setup the Certification Authority
- Create the certificate for NRPE Server
- Create the certificate for the NRPE client
- ADDING THE GRAPHS
- Installing pnp4nagios
- Configuring the program
- Definition for hosts and services with web popups
- Understanding pnp4nagios
- SENDING EMAIL NOTIFICATION WITH PHP
- Add php email command definition
- Apply the new email template
- USEFUL PLUGINS
- Top 4 plugins to download
- USEFUL NAGIOS COMMANDS
- Check validity of the script
- Start Nagios service
- Reload the service
- Stop the service
- Restart Nagios and xinetd
I tried to export the document I wrote to this page but I didn’t like it.
Probably the tools I use to write guides are not the best in this case.. but hey!! Don’t worry my friend! I uploaded the document onto my website and below you find the link do download it ;)
Trust me, it’s worth a view!
Updated to version 2.
|Installing Nagios 4 with SSL|